The ALS Association Connecticut Chapter accepts new and gently used donated Durable Medical Equipment (DME) from the ALS Community. We can not accept DME donations from the general public at this time.
ALSA-CT cannot accept DME donations from the general public at this time.
Before donating, please check your equipment for stickers that may indicate specific vendors items should be returned to. In some cases, DME is provided by insurance on a rental basis and donors should be mindful not to donate items they may not have ownership of.
Please note: ALSA-CT will provide an acknowledgement letter to donors for tax purposes once donations are retrieved. ALSA-CT is unable to provide appraisal value for donations and an appraisal value is not included on donors’ acknowledgement letters. For more information please contact your tax advisor prior to donating DME. You can also visit the IRS website for FAQs regarding charitable donations.
Items Accepted in New or Gently Used Condition:
If donating powered equipment, please be sure the batteries are in good condition and there is a usable charger.
- Manual, Transport or Power Wheelchairs, Travel Scooters, Rollator Walkers (4 Wheels)
- Rolling Shower Chairs, Shower Chairs, Tub Benches
- Electric Sit to Stand and patient floor (Hoyer) lifts. Unable to accept used slings
- Hospital / Adjustable Tray Tables
- Portable ramps and EZ Access or American Access brand modular ramps
- Transfer Items: Pivot Discs, Transfer Boards, Beasy Boards
- Full and semi electric hospital beds and air mattress can be donated through our partnership with The Hospital Bed Project
Other organizations that may accept donations:
Charlie's Closet, Guilford, CT, 203-453-8356
Wheel It Forward, Stamford, CT, 203-652-8600
Orphan Grain Train, Terryville, CT, 860-582-0723
Some towns have their own community medical loan closets - reach out to your town for more information.